Lake Champlain’s Burton Island State Park Named in Top 10 New England Parks
In a recent article the guardian.com named Burton Island State Park in Lake Champlain as one of the top 10 parks in New England. Here’s an excerpt from the article that features the piece about Burton Island State Park.
Burton Island State Park, Vermont
Sometimes called the sixth Great Lake, Lake Champlain drains most of Vermont’s Green Mountains, as well as New York’s Adirondack Mountains to the west. Stretching south from the Canadian border and forming the Vermont-New York state border, Champlain’s deep open waters, secluded bays and numerous islands offer a variety of boating opportunities. One of the best places to experience Champlain’s waters is Burton Island state park, near Saint Albans. No cars are allowed on the 253-acre island: it is reachable by boat, either in a canoe or the 10-minute long passenger ferry ride that runs from Kamp Kill Kare state park on the mainland. Several miles of well-signed scenic trails help you visualise and understand the island’s history: it was covered by glaciers, then became a peninsula, was inhabited by Native Americans, became a farm and is now a state park.
Top tip If you want to stay overnight on Burton Island, plan ahead. The campground offers 26 lean-to shelters and 17 tent sites but reservations are recommended and can be made up to 11 months in advance. The park also rents row boats, canoes and kayaks. Keep an eye out for “Champ”, Lake Champlain’s mythical version of the Loch Ness monster.
For the rest of the article and the other parts that were included from around New England go to: Top 10 national and state parks in New England, USA
- Carleton’s Prize – Lake Champlain Islands
- Signal Buoy Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Lake Champlain Islands Management Complex (LCIMC) – Lake Champlain Islands
- Biologists Working to Save Lake Champlain’s Young Island
- Lake Champlain’s Burton Island State Park Named in Top 10 New England Parks
- Champlain Islands | Vermont Scenic Drives
- Making the Lake Champlain Islands a Biking Destination – video
- Island camping on Lake Champlain. Summer is amazing