Diamond Island is a very small island located in the middle of Lake Champlain between Split Rock in New York and Grosse Pointe in Ferrisburgh, It is just north of Fort Cassin Point in Vergennes , VT.
Diamond Island Meteorological Station
The Vermont Monitoring Cooperative maintains one of its three Lake Champlain meteorological stations on Diamond Island.
There are two shipwrecks found in the vicinity of Diamond Island:
- The Stone Boat lies in 12 to 23 feet of water immediately off the southeast side of Diamond Island (44° 14.10N 73° 20.04W). It is about 93′ x 14′ and was a canal boat used to carry quarried stone. Read history
- The Water Witch is located about 1000′ south of Diamond Island (44 13.93′ , 73 20.13′) at a depth of 90′. She was an 83′ x 18′ steamboat that had been converted to sail. Built in 1832, she sank on April 26 1866 while carrying iron ore. Read history
- This is a sensitive dive site; registration is requested please!
- Currents may be very strong at both of these sites!
Diamond Island Regatta
The Royal Savage Yacht Club’s headline sailing event each season is the Diamond Island Regatta. It is a one race event held in the waters of Lake Champlain near the Point Bay Marina.
Sailed in August, the Diamond Island Regatta is part of the Lake Champlain Championship Series (LCCS) and counts towards both the Cannon Series and the Champlain Series. Boats from all over Lake Champlain compete in the regatta.
Other Articles About Lake Champlain Islands:
- Schuyler Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Diamond Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Knight Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Cave Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Carleton’s Prize – Lake Champlain Islands
- Signal Buoy Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Lake Champlain Islands Management Complex (LCIMC) – Lake Champlain Islands
- Biologists Working to Save Lake Champlain’s Young Island