[contentblock id=2 img=adsense.png]
Fort Amherst (1759 – 1760, 1775 – 1780), Queensbury, New York
Located halfway between Fort Edward and Fort George, on the south bank of Halfway Brook, just north of the Glens Falls city limits, this military post was originally called Fort Miller. Rebuilt in 1775 by Patriot forces and occupied in 1777 by Hessian troops, it was burned by the British in October 1780.
Fort Clinton (1746 – 1747), near Schuylerville, New York
Located just south of town, this replaced Fort Saratoga (1702 – 1744, rebuilt 1721 and 1739), which had been destroyed by the French. Attacked again by the French in June 1747, the fort was finally abandoned and burned in the fall of 1747. This site may have been used by Patriots during the American Revolution.
Located here originally (or possibly closer to Coveville) was the British blockhouse Fort Vrooman (1689 – 1695), built by Col. Peter Schuyler on the land of Dutch settler Bartel Vrooman. It was destroyed by the French.
To the west in Kings Station, Wilton Township, was the site of the “Battle of Wilton” (February 1693) between the British and French. There is a marker on NY 36.
Diamond Island Supply Depot (1777), Lake George, New York
Located about one and one-half miles southwest of Long Island, the British maintained a supply depot on Diamond Island after they captured Fort George from the Patriots in July 1777. The Patriots attacked the island in September 1777 during the attack on Fort George. A historic marker is located on NY 9N near Diamond Point.
Fort Edward (1755 – 1766, 1777 – 1780), Fort Edward, New York
Old Fort House Museum, Rogers Island Visitor Center
British Fort Nicholson, a simple stockade, was first located here in 1709, followed by Fort Lydius from 1731 – 1745 to protect a trading post built by John Henry Lydius, the first white settler of the area. It was destroyed by the French. British Four Mile Post (1755 – 1760) was located four miles to the north.
Originally named Fort Lyman in 1755, Fort Edward was rebuilt and renamed in 1757 after a fire. A small battery was located on nearby Rogers Island, which also quartered Roger’s Rangers
The Royal Blockhouse (1758) was located on the west side of the river. Another small blockhouse was located on a hill to the north (there’s a marker on Bridge Street). The fort was partially demolished in 1766. The present-day house on the site was built in 1772 by Patrick Smyth from the remaining timbers (Old Fort House Museum).
Patriot forces used this site as a camp from 1776 to 1777. It became the Patriot base of operations after the recapture of Fort Ticonderoga by the British in July 1777. A Patriot blockhouse was located on present-day Case Street (there is a marker at the site) in July 1777. Abandoned and then occupied by the British on their advance to Saratoga. After the Battle of Saratoga (October 1777), Patriot forces under Gen. John Stark took over the Smyth house and erected a stockade around it, naming it Fort Stark. Due to course changes of the Hudson River over the years, the site of Fort Edward is now completely on an enlarged Rogers Island. The Rogers Island Visitor Center opened in 2001.
Flatts Stockade (1715 – 1745), Schuylerville, New York
This fortified and palisaded brick house (Peter Schuyler’s Manor) was burned by the French in November 1745. It was located on the bluff on the south side of the mouth of Fish Creek.
Halfway Brook Post (1755 – 1760),
Also known as Seven Mile Post, this British stockade blockhouse was located on the south bank near Fort Amherst.
Fort Hardy (1755 – unknown), Schuylerville, New York
A British supply post on the north side of the mouth of Fish Creek, it was located on Ferry Street (NY 29). The actual site of the fort is not within the boundaries of Fort Hardy Park.
Fort Gage (1759 – 1760), Lake George, New York
Nothing remains of this earthwork fort located one-half mile south of Fort George.
Fort George (1759 – 1787), Lake George
One-half mile southeast of Fort William Henry at Lake George Battlefield Park, this site was a British fortified camp in 1755, and a British barracks and hospital complex in 1758; only the southwest bastion of the fort was ever completed. Although the Patriots captured this fort in May 1775, the British held it in July – September 1777 and again in October 1780. It was occupied by the New York State militia after the war until 1787. The eastern wall was partially reconstructed in the 1930’s.
Fort Miller (1755 – unknown, 1777), Northumberland, Saratoga County, New York
A British palisaded blockhouse built by Col. Samuel Miller was actually located on the west side of the river, across from the town of Fort Miller. It was used by the British and later Patriots during the American Revolution. A British fort may have been built here as early as 1709.
Fort Misery (1755 – 1764, 1777), Fort Edward Township, Washington County, New York
A palisaded blockhouse south of Fort Edward on Moses Kill. It was abandoned, but briefly used by Patriots in 1777 to guard the south approach to Fort Edward.
Fort Saraghtoga (1704 – 1713), Easton Township, Washington County, New York
A British 12-gun fort,150-by-140 feet, for 450 troops. Located directly across the Hudson River from Fort Saratoga.
Camp Washington (1861 – 1862), Salem, New York
Civil War training camp.
Fort William Henry (1755 – 1757), Lake George, New York
This post was immortalized in James Fennimore Cooper’s book, ‘The Last of The Mohicans’ and subsequent movie versions of the novel.
It was one of the most critical military posts during the French and Indian War.Guarding the southern end of Lake George, and the portage to the Hudson River, this square palisade with four bastions, and log barracks was surrendered to the French in August 1757.
After the surrender Indians massacred the British troops and their families, and the wounded. The French troops later burned all the bodies with the fort in a huge bonfire. In 1758 the charred ruins were buried by the British with the building of Fort George. The fort was reconstructed beginning in 1953.
Fort Williams (1759 – 1760), near French Mountain, New York
Located three miles south of Fort George, a post may have been built here as early as 1755.
Fort Williams (1775 – 1777), Salem, New York
Built in 1774 as the New England Presbyterian church, then converted to barracks by the Patriots in 1775, and then fortified (stockaded), it was known as White Creek Fort. Renamed in 1776, and destroyed by the British in August 1777, the church was rebuilt in 1783. The current structure (1836) on the site is now the Fort Salem Theater.
[contentblock id=2 img=adsense.png]