- Boater Education is required for all persons between 10 and 18 years of age who operate a motorboat and for all persons 14 years of age and older who operate a PWC on New York waters.
- Get your New York Boating License
- To receive your official New York Boating Safety Certificate, you must take a proctored exam in a classroom setting.
- For a list of classroom courses in Long Island, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Westchester Counties, please visit: www.safeboatingamerica.com.
- To find a classroom course in other areas of New York state, please visit: www.nysparks.com
The New York boating safety certificate is proof that a boater has taken and passed an approved boater education course. The New York Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation currently has a mandatory boater education requirement requiring all boaters between 10 and 18 years of age who operate a motorboat and for all persons 14 years of age and older who operate a PWC to have the New York boating license on board when the vessel is underway to satisfy the New York boating regulations.
Many boating fatalities occur because boaters aren’t educated about boating safety. The New York Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation believes that an educated boater is a safer boater.
You can write your practice exam directly on the Internet at BoaterExam.com™. In order to meet New York’s mandatory education requirement, boaters must successfully complete a boating safety course with a minimum of 8 hours of classroom instruction and a proctored exam. For a list of classroom courses, please visit: www.safeboatingamerica.com.
All the required safe boating training material to pass the classroom course will be provided at the time of the class. BoaterExam.com™ provides you with the same information free of charge on this web site. Simply visit safe boating training material. BoaterExam.com™ has been reviewed by New York State and has been found to contain the required state specific information. The information contained in this online program follows the materials presented in the class room course. Successful completion of the BoaterExam.com™ program will help you prepare for the New York Safe Boating Program.
Where can I get more information about New York boating regulations and the New York boater education card?
Answers to most of your questions about the New York boater’s license can be found on ourFrequently Asked Questions page. You may also visit The New York Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation for additional information, or you can contact us and we will be glad to answer any of your questions.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the New York boater’s license
- BoaterExam.com™ Contact Information
- Get your New York Boating License Online!
- Coast Guard Cracks Down On Fat Boaters, Limits Total Passengers (huffingtonpost.com)