The Champlain Islands are typically Vermont, but they also have a quirkiness that gives them their own unique charm. One of these unique locations is the South Hero Bird House Forest.
The South Hero Bird House Forest
South Hero’s West Shore Road is a narrow dirt road that winds along the many inlets and bays of South Hero’s west coast. Here you’ll find classic old summer camps, stony beaches, new multi-million dollar vacation homes, vineyards and wineries, and spectacular views and sunsets.
There are a few out-of-the-way, hidden, yet fascinating sites to explore, if you know where to look.
Hundreds of Bird Houses in South Hero, Vermont
Just north of Whites Beach, a few feet from the roadside, are hundreds of brilliantly colored bird houses hanging from the trees along the swampland. It’s almost impossible not to notice, and on summer days, it’s not uncommon to see someone slow down for a better look.
According to the property owners, they were trying to deal with the mosquitoes that came from the nearby swamp. The bird houses are home to tree swallows that eat mosquitoes. This natural pest control allows the owners to sit outside in the evening and enjoy themselves.
The project started 15 years ago, with 20 bird houses; when the owner checked after a year, he found each one occupied. He built more, and more; and now has over 400 bird houses. His wife was the one who convinced him to paint them the striking bold colors.
Want to see this for yourself?
Take Route 2 to South Hero, and turn onto South Street in South Hero village. Follow South Street until you reach West Shore Road, past Allenholm Orchards; then follow West Shore Road until you get to Whites Beach. The bird houses will be on your right, just past the parking lot.
- Signal Buoy Island – Lake Champlain Islands
- Lake Champlain Islands Management Complex (LCIMC) – Lake Champlain Islands
- Biologists Working to Save Lake Champlain’s Young Island
- Lake Champlain’s Burton Island State Park Named in Top 10 New England Parks
- Champlain Islands | Vermont Scenic Drives
- Making the Lake Champlain Islands a Biking Destination – video
- Island camping on Lake Champlain. Summer is amazing
- Stunning Lake Champlain Sunset